Media Advisory 05/08/20
GASB Postpones Effective Dates of Upcoming Pronouncements
Norwalk, CT, May 8, 2020—The Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB) today issued Statement No. 95, Postponement of the Effective Dates of Certain Authoritative Guidance. The Statement is intended to provide relief to governments and other stakeholders in light of the COVID-19 pandemic.
The guidance postpones by one year the effective dates of certain provisions in the following pronouncements:
- Statement No. 83, Certain Asset Retirement Obligations
- Statement No. 84, Fiduciary Activities
- Statement No. 88, Certain Disclosures Related to Debt, including Direct Borrowings and Direct Placements
- Statement No. 89, Accounting for Interest Cost Incurred before the End of a Construction Period
- Statement No. 90, Majority Equity Interests
- Statement No. 91, Conduit Debt Obligations
- Statement No. 92, Omnibus 2020
- Statement No. 93, Replacement of Interbank Offered Rates
- Implementation Guide No. 2017-3, Accounting and Financial Reporting for Postemployment Benefits Other Than Pensions (and Certain Issues Related to OPEB Plan Reporting)
- Implementation Guide No. 2018-1, Implementation Guidance Update—2018
- Implementation Guide No. 2019-1, Implementation Guidance Update—2019
- Implementation Guide No. 2019-2, Fiduciary Activities.
- Statement No. 87, Leases
- Implementation Guide No. 2019-3, Leases.
The Board worked on this guidance under an expedited schedule. It would like to thank all stakeholders who responded under difficult circumstances.
Statement 95 is available on the GASB website, www.gasb.org.
The GASB provides other COVID-19-related resources for stakeholders, including an emergency toolbox, on its website at www.gasb.org/COVID19.