Statement No. 95
Postponement of the Effective Dates of Certain Authoritative Guidance
The primary objective of this Statement is to provide temporary relief to governments and other stakeholders in light of the COVID-19 pandemic. That objective is accomplished by postponing the effective dates of certain provisions in Statements and Implementation Guides that first became effective or are scheduled to become effective for periods beginning after June 15, 2018, and later.
The effective dates of certain provisions contained in the following pronouncements are postponed by one year:
- Statement No. 83, Certain Asset Retirement Obligations
- Statement No. 84, Fiduciary Activities
- Statement No. 88, Certain Disclosures Related to Debt, including Direct Borrowings and Direct Placements
- Statement No. 89, Accounting for Interest Cost Incurred before the End of a Construction Period
- Statement No. 90, Majority Equity Interests
- Statement No. 91, Conduit Debt Obligations
- Statement No. 92, Omnibus 2020
- Statement No. 93, Replacement of Interbank Offered Rates
- Implementation Guide No. 2017-3, Accounting and Financial Reporting for Postemployment Benefits Other Than Pensions (and Certain Issues Related to OPEB Plan Reporting)
- Implementation Guide No. 2018-1, Implementation Guidance Update—2018
- Implementation Guide No. 2019-1, Implementation Guidance Update—2019
- Implementation Guide No. 2019-2, Fiduciary Activities.
- Statement No. 87, Leases
- Implementation Guide No. 2019-3, Leases.
The requirements of this Statement are effective immediately.
How the Changes in This Statement Will Improve Financial Reporting
Providing governments with sufficient time to apply the authoritative guidance addressed in this Statement will help to safeguard the reliability of their financial statements, which in turn will benefit the users of those financial statements.
Unless otherwise specified, pronouncements of the GASB apply to financial reports of all state and local governmental entities, including general purpose governments; public benefit corporations and authorities; public employee retirement systems; and public utilities, hospitals and other healthcare providers, and colleges and universities. Paragraph 2 discusses the applicability of this Statement.